Saturday, August 29, 2009

Recipe: Blackened Spice Mix

Tonight we had blackened chicken sandwiches for dinner. I failed to take any pictures (partly because I also butchered a chicken and thus had chicken juice all over my hands), but the recipe is pretty straightforward. Coat chicken, fry chicken, eat. :) Here's the spice mix, which is also good on fish. You could probably also grill this chicken.

2T paprika
1T garlic powder
1 1/2 t white pepper (I usually just use all black)
1 1/2 t black pepper
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t dried oregano leaves
1T onion powder (I also use dried minced onions)
3/4 t cayenne pepper
1 1/2 t dried thyme leaves

Store in an container.

Start by pounding the chicken breast thin (or cut it in half down the length of the breast to make it thinner). I also cut the chicken into bun-sized pieces--I can usually get two pieces from one breast. Coat with the spice mix. Heat about 1 T oil in a pan over medium-medium high heat. Add the coated chicken and cook until done, turning once--I'd say about 5-10 minutes total, depending on how hot your pan is and how thin the chicken is. Serve on a bun with all the fixings!

No comments:

Post a Comment