Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Traveling Light

Yesterday was a momentous day: I submitted my dissertation. Technically, I think it was this morning, but it doesn't really matter--I'm pretty much done now. I say pretty much because I've already gotten an email of minor edits (indent here, change the order there, update figure caption, etc). I also have a small paper to rewrite. Oh well.
This morning, I flew home to visit family in Illinois. It was an experience for me because it's the first time in a very long time that I flew without my backpack. Without my laptop. Without my school accoutrements. When I went through security, the lady took a look at me, said "is that all you have?", then waved me over to the crew security line. I also flew without a carry-on, since I have things to bring back with me. I didn't have to worry about finding a seat with overhead space above it, because everything fit under my seat.
Unfortunately, this will only last another six months. Then, I will trade in my unencumbered life for a car seat, stroller, diaper bag, etc. etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment