Monday, May 13, 2013

Be Still My Soul

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


I sing hymns to the kids every night before they go to bed.  It's a pleasure to revisit old hymns and introduce them to my children, but I also find that God uses these times to speak to my heart as well.  My soul has been rather restless this past week.  I've been thinking about where our daughter is and what she's going through right now.  I think it's been brought on by watching Luke--he's the same age that our daughter will (probably) be when she arrives, but she certainly won't be at his developmental stage.  It's hard not to compare her first year with Luke's first year, and all the things she'll have to deal with.  We don't know if she's in a foster care situation or an orphanage, but even if she's in the best situation possible, it will still be hard for her when she arrives.  I try really hard not to think about the worst case scenarios.
I sang Be Still My Soul to Luke, and then when I put Katie to bed, the bookmark was on I Must Tell Jesus.  And that's what I do.  When we sing in church, I pray that someone is singing to my baby.  When I hold Luke in my arms and pray with him, I pray that in her orphanage or home, there is someone praying over her too.  And I try to remember that Jesus will bear her burdens along with mine.  


I must tell Jesus all of my trials;
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares for His own.

I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment