Friday, May 3, 2013

On Sisyphus and Dishes

Of all the quotidian tasks that seem Sisyphean in nature, I find emptying the dishwasher to be the worst.  There's a small sort of pleasure in filling the dishwasher with dirty dishes, in moving jammy plates and empty coffee mugs from the counter to the racks, and then closing the door on all that messiness.  Running the dishwasher usually happens at the end of the day, when all the big pots and pans have been hand washed and the counters have been wiped down.  But we always seem to make more dirty dishes before the dishwasher is emptied, and so I find little satisfaction in the pristine white plates and tidy piles of forks, knowing more will take their place so soon.  My only consolation is reminding myself that unlike Sisyphus, I have children who can someday take this onerous task from me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment