Thursday, September 12, 2013

Multiplying and Dividing

Have you ever noticed how some things just tend to multiply without any effort on your part?  I remember the first time I bought a mug.  David and I were just married, living in a tiny efficiency suite at his officer training.  The kitchen was smaller than our current guest bathroom and consisted of a microwave, a small fridge, and a tiny sink.  I think we may have bought it so I could drink my coffee in a mug, or maybe for microwaving water. 

I've bought very few mugs since then--maybe just the ones that came with our dish set.  And yet, my mug cupboard is overflowing, despite my recent purge on behalf of my sister.  I doubt I will ever buy another mug in my life, and I'm confident I will have to do more purges to keep them under control. 

I have also bought hangers once in my life, and through various events and circumstances, I now have hundreds of them.  When salespeople ask if I want the hanger, I politely say no thank you. 

Pens and hair-things, on the other hand, must have specific black holes that follow them around and swallow them up.  I don't even want to consider how many I've bought in my life, and how many more I will need to purchase.  My hair-things tend to hang around for longer periods now, but Katie's take on a life of their own and must wander off to foreign lands.  At least pens have the excuse of sometimes running out of ink, but I know I have lost more than I've used up. 

What tends to multiply or disappear in your house?

1 comment:

  1. Scissors and thermometers. With the scissors, we have finally reached a critical mass so that there's one at hand every time we want one.

    ReplyDelete