Saturday, September 21, 2013

One down, two to go

This weekend is busy for us.  Although I didn't necessarily plan on having all these things on one weekend, now that we're a third of the way through it, it doesn't seem too bad. 

Last night I provided desserts for a special event at our church.  Give Her Life is a relatively new ministry focused on the problems of gendercide--basically the devaluation, infanticide, and fetecide of girls.  The organizer showed a film about the problem in India and China, and while the film was very well made, it was pretty devastating.  I kept thinking how blessed I and my sisters and my daughter are to be in the US.  I probably wouldn't be here if our family was Chinese, and while I might have survived in India, there's no guarantee.

Right now Give Her Life is focused on research and awareness of the problems, but eventually they are hoping to provide business and educational opportunities for women.  If a woman is educated and able to earn money, there's a better chance she will be valued in her community.

Here is the website if you're interested in learning more:  www.giveherlife.org

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the desserts.  :)  We served a little shot glass of Chocolate Truffle Mousse, a little cookie with white chocolate pastry cream, caramel drizzle, and toffee bits, and a pastry bite with lemon curd and a blueberry on top.  They were very well received. 

Now, I'm on my way to a Wings prison party, and then tomorrow we're helping out with the membership lunch.  One down, two to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment