Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Falling in Love

Although we're out of the woods in terms of the roach problem, we've discovered another issue with the house (I'm beginning to think there will be no end to these). We have two types of cooling mechanisms in the house. The refrigerated air has all the ductwork in place, but the unit outside has been broken for a while. This, we knew when we bought the house. There is an alternative to air conditioning in dryer climates such as ours...the infamous swamp cooler. This functions by wetting down a pad inside a drum. The drum spins around and as the water evaporates, the air is cooled. The cooler air is pumped into the house, thus providing some relief. While this works in principle when the humidity is 0%, it doesn't work so well during the rainy season (known as 'the monsoons'). Well, our swamp cooler doesn't even work when it's dry. There's a paltry amount of air coming from the vents, but the installation wasn't done very well and we can't really use it. So, I end up with situations like this:
I think the thermometer is reading 89.7 degrees right now...I'll spare you the picture. We're currently working on getting the refrigerated air fixed, but in the meantime, I'm in love:
I'm in love because of this little number:David came home and I informed him that this little baby was posted on Craig's list, and he went to all the trouble of figuring out how to remove the bars on the windows in the guest bedroom and drove to downtown ABQ to buy it. Then he installed it for me. Isn't he sweet?

1 comment:

  1. Brittany--it's so fun to read your blog! I check it every day. Thanks for all the pictures, fun stories and being so consistent! I love to stay connected to your life!

    Love, Arthur

    ReplyDelete