Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dangerous(ly)

There are a few songs that I've noticed on the radio recently.  "Reckless" is one (by Jeremy Camp), and I just heard "Dangerous" this weekend (by Group 1 Crew).  "Live With Abandon" is almost in this group, and I feel like there is one more that I'm forgetting.  They have a great sentiment--don't be afraid to live your life for Christ--but I have issues with how they phrase it.  First of all, it should be "I want to live dangerous-LY."  Secondly, let's take an example from the life of Moses (our guy for VBS this week).  It seems to me that he was living his life most dangerously when he was NOT following God.  He tried to fulfill God's plan on his timing and in his way, and it got him a murder charge (warranted) and a trip to the desert.  And how would you describe his actions?  Maybe "without thinking or caring about the consequences" or in other words, reckless? 

Yes, we should do all the things described in these songs:  Risk it all for God, lay down our lives for Him, give Him all that we are.  Why?  Because the SAFEST place to be is directly in His will, following His guidance.  I don't think God wants us to barrel thoughtlessly into whatever we think might be His will at the moment.  I don't think it's that easy to discern His will, although I wish it were.  A lot of people think we're brave/crazy for adopting, and occasionally I feel that sentiment as well.  :)  But it's not a reckless action.  We've thought long and hard about this decision, and we feel that it's God's will in so many ways.  And if you've thoughtfully, prayerfully, and with wisdom and advice from others believe you've figured out what God wants you to do, you definitely don't have to be dangerous or reckless about it.  You just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment