Friday, April 5, 2013

Why Adopt?



So, why adopt?  It's a huge question with a pretty multi-faceted answer...but here's the short(er) version.  

I think adoption was always on the radar for me, but I remember a specific incident after David and I had been married for a few years. I was driving home from work (a 70 mile commute) and tuned in to a Christian radio station where they were discussing adoption. I can’t remember the specifics of the program, but I do remember feeling a deep desire to adopt someday.  David and I talked about it then, and he told me that he’d always been open to adoption as well.  We still had a ways before thinking about kids, so it didn’t really come up again until after graduate school, when we started trying to get pregnant. I remember wanting to talk about how many biological and how many adopted kids we’d have.  David, being the practical person that he is, figured we should just start with getting pregnant.  :)  During our second pregnancy, we discussed it more and decided that we would probably try to adopt next.  Before we even got pregnant, I kind of had 3 biological kids in mind before looking at adopting, but I also kind of wanted to adopt two kids.  Between scaling back our plans of having 5-6 kids and having two not-so-easy pregnancies, we were ready to talk about it while I was pregnant with Luke.  Of course, we didn't know he was Luke at the time, but when he came out a boy (giving us one of each), I kind of took that as a sign that we were on the right path.


No comments:

Post a Comment