Sunday, June 30, 2013

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

Thursday was the anniversary of the first awarded Newberry Medal.  I guess I don't talk about books much on this blog, which is odd, since we kind of live and breathe them here.  Both Luke and Katie love books--being read to and reading them (which means paging through them or reciting them from memory).  We always bring books to any appointments we have, and despite their weight, there are always a few favorites that make it on the plane.
There was a time in my life when I actually read too much (according to my mom), and reading non-school books had to be rationed so that I'd finish my chores.  I have many, many old favorites from my childhood, but probably one of my most favorite is Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, the Newberry Award winner from 1956.  This may be the root of my favorite hero type--the one who, by dint of his or her prodigious intelligence and excellent work ethic, succeeds at whatever task has been presented.  It's an amazing story of overcoming hardship as well, and I'm still inspired by him.  I'm looking forward to reading it to my children someday.

2 comments:

  1. When we were watching the latest Superman and Clark and the villain kept slugging each other (and slugging and slugging and slugging), I kept wishing he would use his HEAD and solve this intelligently. If he had, the movie would have received better reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I also felt like some of the fights were zero-sum...they didn't really seem to accomplish much except knock a bunch of things down.

    ReplyDelete