Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pork Shoulder=Perfection

If you're not a pork eater, don't bother reading this post, because I'm about to sing its praises.  :)

Pork shoulder is my favorite cut of meat to cook with at home.  First of all, it's pork, which means it would be delicious just roasted with salt and pepper.  But it's a lot more than just tasty. 

--It's versatile:  you can flavor it in a lot of different ways (Korean, Chinese, Mexican, BBQ, Caribbean, Italian, etc.), and I'm pretty sure they will all taste good.

--It's versatile (II):  you can eat it in burritos, enchiladas, rice wraps, lettuce wraps, sandwiches, salads, plain, in soup, in ragu...

--It's super easy:  the recipe I made on Sunday called for a spice rub, marinating time, and searing, but I didn't even bother with any of that.  Just seasoned it, plopped it in the crockpot, and came back to ambrosia the next morning.  It also tastes better the next day.

--It freezes well:  especially in a sauce.

--It's flavorful: which means it fits into my 'meat on the side' food philosophy.

I'd say the only issue is the fat, except that's what makes it sooo delicious, right?  I deal with that by making it ahead of time, pouring the sauce off into a separate container, putting it in the fridge, then taking the fat off the top after it's hardened.  (Problem) solved.

I'll be posting some of my favorite pork shoulder recipes this week.  Mmmm, carnitas....

No comments:

Post a Comment