Saturday, January 11, 2014

A few more steps

We finally have our I-800 letter in our hands!  At one point I posted that we'd have to take care of "US Immigration, then travel."  If only it were that straightforward.  Katie was asking me why we can't just go get Liz, and we told her that lots of people have to say it's okay first.  So here's the run down (as best I understand it!).

1.  The I-800 is processed by US Immigration.  (Done!)

2.  They forward Liz's I-800 to the National Visa Center (NVC).  The NVC processes it and issues a case number for her (called a GUZ#).

3.  Once we receive the GUZ#, we can apply for a visa for her.

4.  The visa application is dropped off at the US Consulate in China.

5.  The US Consulate in China issues an "Article 5" for Liz.

6.  The Article 5 gets sent to the Chinese government, who can then issue a Travel Authorization for us to go get her.

At that point, we will be able to set a day to get Liz and a consulate appointment for her so we can take care of all the last little details.  Finally, we organize all our travel and head on over there!

No comments:

Post a Comment