Monday, January 20, 2014

Waltz on the Water

Water has come up a few times during this adoption process.  Last summer my Bible study looked at the passage in Matthew where Peter walks on the water, and the story definitely fit in with how I was feeling about the adoption.  At times the process has felt like a wave, moving us forward without pause.  And then when I mailed off the paperwork, Oceans was playing on the radio.

At that point, it sounded very melancholy.  I was feeling a little stressed about getting everything done properly (and quickly!), and even though I knew that I could trust God to take care of these things, I felt nervous.

Fast forward to last week, when I heard Oceans again on the radio.  I don't remember what part of the song was playing, but for some reason, it sounded almost triumphant.  And it just struck me, much in the same tone that I use with Katie when she does something kind of thoughtless--why do we doubt God?  

Peter could have danced across the water to Jesus, and he would not have sunk one inch.  There is certainly no doubt in our minds that this adoption is part of God's plan for me, and for David, and for our family.  So why would we ever doubt that we can dance upon the water as well?  

It could definitely be stormy--I can still see those ridiculously steep waves from A Perfect Storm--but as powerful and scary as those waves would be, we can still make the choice to trust, to not doubt, to dance joyfully and gracefully on His path.  

We are so close--maybe 7 weeks from today, we will be holding Elizabeth in our arms.  I pray her place in our family will be as much of a blessing to her as it has been and will be to us.  I already see how God has used her to shape us and our faith in him.  It's hard to imagine learning all these lessons without her.


Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

(Oceans)

No comments:

Post a Comment